Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tools of the Trade


There are a few tools that the boatbuilder needs.

The essentials: Jigsaw, Sander, Drill, Clamps

Jigsaw. It was important to ensure that the base of the jigsaw could be rotated, a
s the transom required cuts angled at of 10 and 15 degrees. To be certain that the angles for my cuts were precise, I purchased a cheap protractor. (Hint: when buying a protractor, choose the one that has 0 degrees as close to the bottom of the plastic as possible. It’s much easier to measure the angle that way.)

Orbital Sander.

Clamps. These are a MUST HAVE.

Power drill.

Safety gear. Must-haves include safety glasses, a respirator and rubber gloves. I highly recommend spending the extra money to get a high quality gas/vapour and particulate respirator.

This list is by no means comprehensive; as I get further into the build, I'm sure that I'll need a few more items.

No comments:

Post a Comment